While there are tons of things I love about my jailbroken iPhone 3G (OpenSSH, VNC, Google Voice), I have a few favorite apps. As I’m cheap, all of these are free, save for my #1, which was well worth the $0.99:
- 5. Five Icon Dock lets you add an extra icon. Yeah, it seems trivial at first glance, but you can put all four Stacks on your dock, plus still have single-touch access to a fifth icon. Mine has my Phone first, followed by a Stack called “Apple” (with SMS, iPod, Mail, etc), a Stack called “Web”, a Stack for “Games”, and a Stack for “Utilities”.
- 4. Stack v3 gives you sort of an instant categorization view. I put mine on my Five Icon Dock, which gives me access to about 90% of what I do every day within two touches of any screen.
- 3. The 3G has a camera, but only the 3GS an newer can shoot video… until now. Cycorder gives you 15 FPS video on your 3G.
- 2. Apple might have added multitasking to iPhone OS 4, but they won’t enable it on the iPhone 3G. Get ProSwitcher and listen to Pandora or Slacker while running other Apps.
- 1. If you have iPod/iPhone accessories which aren’t “Apple Certified”, you’re probably tired of the Airplane Mode warning. I found it annoying when I would occasionally use the USA Spec iPod Integration in my MDX, but with the iPod/iPhone alarm clock I got for fathers day, I suddenly found myself anooyed every night. Fro $0.99, Popup Blocker is my sanity savior, allowing me to block dozens of different types of nusiance alerts.